Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Werewolf nights and worn down days

Yesterdays Words - Blog 609, Fiction 0, Total 609

Challenge Total - 4519


I slept about two hours last night. No clue why. Started with my brain worrying at work an hour after I'd gone to bed, and progressed to a restless night where even the dogs wouldn't stay still.

I think it's the full moon. Really. I've noticed that I sleep worse the days around a full moon, and can only wonder if my ancestors were lycanthropes. I think it's a pretty common thing, though. Just one of those nights.

Dragged myself through a productive day. Now that I'm home, all I want to do is drink hot tea, eat a few cookies, and read. Still working my way through Lee Child. No attempt at writing fiction tonight.

Overall, a very slow start to the challenge, but I'll take the five day blogging streak and the almost 2000 words of Catpocalypse Meow and roll into the second half of the week with high hopes and good intentions. 

I'm actually very excited to get the story moving forward.

Spent a few minutes reading about John D Macdonald this morning. His commitment to making it as a writer when he left the military never fails to inspire me. In case you are unaware, he was determined to make it as a writer and spend his first four months out of the military working 14 hours a day at his typewriter, churning out short stories to the tune of 800,000 words. 

That's a lot of stories, well over a hundred, probably, and a heck of a way to learn your craft.

I'd like to get going hard over the next four days, and come out of the weekend with a nice showing for the first full week of the challenge. Gonna set a few daily goals here for the next four days and see if I can hit the mark.

Tomorrow - just the day job on the agenda, so I have the morning before work and the evening after free. Let's push hard and go for 4000 words.

Friday, work and then game night with the boys. Not much time, so let's mail in 1000 words and call it good.

Saturday, work in the morning for a few hours, plans in the evening for dinner. maybe four hours free in between, plus a couple in the morning. Let's go for 5000 words.

Sunday, Easter with family in the afternoon. All morning to write. Let's book another 5000 words.

Tat's 15,000 words over the next four days, which is very solid. Add that to the 5000 words I'll have after this blog and that's 20,000 words over the first nine days of the challenge.

I'll be pretty happy with that.

For now, time to have tea and unwind with Jack Reacher.

See you tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment