Friday, October 30, 2020

Election Day thoughts

 Election Day 2020 is four days away here in the U.S.A., and I'm worried. Don't worry, I'm not going to start talking about politics. I want to talk about violence.

I've read a couple of articles in the past few days that indicate there is a growing number of people on all sides who believe that violence would be justified if their candidate doesn't win the election. One report I read on a reputable news site indicated that more than 20% of people polled, both Republican and Democrat, believe that "violence would be justified" if their candidate doesn't win. Another indicates that only 1 in 4 believe there will be a peaceful transition of power.

What the actual fuck?

Like most, I have strong beliefs about a variety of topics. I voted, and I believe that matters. Though the system probably needs updating, it's what we've got right now and, for the most part, it works. It ensures that we have a representative government, and, perhaps most importantly, it ensures that we have a peaceful transition of government.

Peaceful.

One of the greatest things about America, and one of my strongest beliefs about what it means to be American, is that we can argue strongly about just about anything, that we can speak our minds publicly and privately, and in the end we respect each other's right to have differing views. 

We don't have to agree on issues. We don't even have to listen to views we don't agree with, though I try to be open minded and see as many sides of just about everything as I can. I try to understand, even when my own view may skew the other way. I want to know why you believe what you believe, even when I disagree. Especially when I disagree! 

Because sometimes I change my mind. Sometimes I'm misinformed, uneducated about the issue, or just plain wrong. Living in America means I can change my mind. No one gets to tell me what to think. I can agree, disagree, or withhold judgement, as I please. 

It's not like that everywhere. Some places, you have to appear to believe what the government tells you to believe, or else. 

Our freedom to make up our own minds, and to disagree, debate, and take peaceful action to support our views is what makes America a great country to live in. It's not about being the best. It's not about being first, economically, educationally, morally, politically, or in any way you can think of, except one. 

Freedom. First in freedom.

Even on that front, we have some work to do, but the statement stands. And it stands on a system of peaceful transition of government, on respect for each other's right to believe what we want and speak about it as we choose, and to try to change what we don't agree with. Peacefully.

The moment that peace shatters, we've lost that. The moment violence becomes the answer, we lose it all. We cannot condone violence in any form, in any circumstance. Our society and lifestyle, our very identity, depends upon it.

Violence is not the answer.

If you believe strongly that your candidate or party is important, and you are dissatisfied with the election results, (hell, even if you are satisfied!), then take the opportunity as a free American to enact change through peaceful means. Get educated. Get involved. Listen to dissenting opinions, and think about them. Debate. Write. Protest. Sing. Yell. Shout. Make sweet, sweet love. Use your time and energy to help people see your side.

But do it without violence. Do it peacefully.

Otherwise we lose the freedom we pride ourselves on as Americans. We lose our identity. And that is a far greater tragedy than any election result.


2 comments:

  1. Well-said, Joe. Violence, for violence sake, during any transition is meaningless and useless. Peaceful transitions are the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Moose. Sorry I didn't see these earlier. I hadn't set up comment notifications, and don't want to allow comments without moderation because of the spambots out there.

    So far, things haven't been too bad. Hopefully the trend to a peaceful transition continues.

    ReplyDelete