Tuesday, April 27, 2021

A kick in the butt

 So obviously, I stalled on streaking, again...

It was probably silly to start the streak the week I was getting my first Covid-19 vaccination, but I'm an eternal optimist, right? Anyway, I let that derail me mostly out of anxiety more than any actual side effects or inability to sit down and write. That's a relief in that I had no discernable side effects other than fatigue, but it's a disappointment that I continue to let life dictate and derail my writing.

I've come to realize that my entire life is governed by emotional responses to what might happen. Rather than being resolute, I make a lot of decisions based on my own projections and fears. Rather than take control, I worry and let the endless possible bad outcomes alter my thinking and actions. In writing, that's called critical voice, but the truth is, we all have a little nagging voice that worries and tries to keep us safe. 

What if it's hot? What if I fail? What if I die? 

That voice in our head is there for a reason, and the reason is, our brain prefers as little stress as possible. It guides us towards the path of least resistance if we let it. Unfortunately, that voice is in direct opposition to our own growth potential as humans. If we listen to it too much, we stop growing entirely.

Yeah, I listen to it way too much.

Despite that, though, I keep coming back and trying. 

I signed up for a workshop with a writer I admire, Dean Wesley Smith, about a month ago, and just completed the week three coursework. The workshop has definitely made me think about why I have so much trouble staying consistent with writing, and has made me realize that there are many more ways for the Critical Voice inside me to keep me out of the writing chair and full of worry and doubt than I could have imagined. In essence, what people call writer's block is just their critical voice being hyperactive, an winning the battle against actually writing. I even see now why folks like George R. Martin and Patrick Rothfuss have had a terrible time finishing (starting?) the books that everyone is waiting for!

Anyway, the workshop, combined with my recent entry to the NYCMidnight Short Story Contest, helped me see something clearly - I write well under pressure, which is to say, with a deadline. I don't mean the quality of my writing improves. What I mean is, I have an easier time getting in the chair when I'm under the influence of some outside accountability. In the case of the Contest, I had clear deadlines, and I met them. Just like handing in my homework, I always found ways to make the time to do the work and get it in on time.

So, I decided to take matters out of my own hands and signed up for three distinct challenge workshops that happen to coincide with what I want out of my writing for the next twelve months. Starting in May, I've signed up for both the Great Short Story Challenge and the Great Novel Challenge over at WMG Publishing. Then, in June, I signed up for the Great Publishing Challenge.

What does all that mean?

Every week, I have to write a short story and turn it in by Sunday at midnight.

Every two months, I have to write a novel and turn it in by the end of the second month.

And, starting in June, every month I have to publish something, either a novel, or a collection of five or more short stories, and send in the link. In addition, I get better rewards if I send in a print copy of the book, which I plan on doing once I figure out how.

So basically, for the next twelve months, I have to act the part of a professional writer. I have to write a lot, I have to learn how to publish what I write (formatting, covers, sales copy, learning copyright, learning how to get my books in online stores, learning how to get my books in print and into book stores, etc.), and I have to learn how not to stop. Ever.

The reward for that is a lifetime subscription to pretty much every course WMG publishing offers, which is a lot and a huge continuing education for any writer. 

But the bigger reward is that at the end of the twelve month period, I'll have written at least 52 short stories, at least six novels, and published at least twelve books. I plan on publishing everything, and hopefully writing even more than that, but even if all I do is meet the bare minimums, I'll have had an incredibly productive year as a writer, have a ton of my work out in the word and for sale earning money, and will have learned more in twelve months than I have in the last forty years about writing for a living.

All while keeping my day job.

It's going to be tough, but I know it will be worth it.

Alright, breakfast is getting cold.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment