Sunday, April 11, 2021

Another story done and submitted

 All in all, this has been a good start to the year. Tonight I wrote another short story, this one for round two of the NYCMidnight Short Story Contest 2021. I had to cut about 200 words to get in under the 2000 word limit, but I always write long, so cutting 10% wasn't too difficult. I liked the story, which means I enjoyed writing it. I have no idea if its "good" or not, and I'm learning that's okay. 

One of the nice things about short stories in this word count range is that I can write them in one sitting, which leaves me almost no time to worry that they suck and sabotage myself. I'm on a ride for two or three hours and its just fun, and when its done I submit it and forget about it.

For example, when I got the feedback for the round one story last week, I was confused at first because I didn't remember the names of the characters in my story, and the feedback mentioned all of them by name. It took me a few minutes to recall enough of the story for the feedback to be meaningful. That might sound weird, but try to think of what you ate for lunch three months ago. It's almost impossible, assuming you eat something different most days. Writing a story works the same way.

Now, as I mentioned a couple of days ago, I wanted to use this as a kick in the ass to start a new writing streak. Thus, tomorrow morning, I start a new story. I plan to write this story in two days, so my deadline is Tuesday night. Then, on Wednesday, I'm starting a novella that I plan to complete by the end of the month.

Yes, I'm asking a lot of myself. But honestly, I have to shit or get off the pot. If I come in a little late, well, that's not ideal, but its fine as long as I finish the stories and submit or publish them.

Time to unwind with a good book. Early wakeup tomorrow. Have a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment